Saturday, January 18, 2014

South Fork Ogden River

Okay…why I haven't fished the Ogden long ago is beyond me? I love this bad boy! I have actually fished the south fork maybe 15 years ago but I really don't remember it. If I recall when I fished it last, it was a really dry winter and I fished it in the spring; the water was supper low.

We didn't catch a lot of fish today, but the fish we did catch we're beautiful Browns. I imagine that during prime fishing months a ton of fishermen swarm these banks; it just makes sense-- it's close, and it has so many impressive features. To begin with I love the size of this river--it reminds me of the Provo but a little smaller. The river bottom is rock covered which is great on a lot of levels; it creates an environment for bugs to live and prosper, and it's nice to step in--it doesn't kick up a ton of mud. The water is clean and clear with a very fishable flow. My favorite aspect of the river though is the way it fishes, or the holes. I can’t wait to fish it with hoppers in the summer months, it has long runs, with extensive amazing riffles.

As we both expected, it was all about little midge. We nymphed most of the day with little black nymphs (zebra, disco midge) and a number of common patterns as well. But oddly enough the winning fly for both of us was a little cream midge Colby ties up himself; it’s a simple cream body with a black head.  The method was strike indicator with nymphs at various depths. This time of the year, and the way the river laid out, it was really the only technique to use. At the end of the day we saw a number of fish slurping off the top, and we tried swinging soft hackle to them, but no luck.


We wanted to connect with our chum Tommy Bitchin, but he didn’t call until later in the day, when we were already on the river. From the way I see it; I think he’s hooked on fly fishing. I don’t know how much he really likes fishing; I think it’s more about getting out. But for me those guys make the best buddies on the river anyhow.










No comments:

Post a Comment