Sunday, November 9, 2014

Portneuf ID

As a family we have visited Lava too many times to count. I've always enjoyed it for an "over nighter" during any season. During winter months we stay the night and soak in the hot springs. During the summer we would camp for a few days and raft the river (ask me about butt pants some day).

The kids loved rafting the Portneuf because it's warmed from the water of the hot springs, so it's the perfect temp, not too cold. It also has rapids big enough to give the kids a little thrill, that don't kill.  The little town also has a fairly good share of restaurants and bars to choose from.  Pound for pound Lava is tough to beat for a cheap little get away.

Here's the rub: I have never fished the river. I have thought of it, and I have come close to fishing
the Portneuf , but it's just never happened.  This is simply a crime against fishing; and if you have fished the Portneuf you know what I mean.

I am punching myself in the face--hard for taking so long  to flick a fly in this water. I don't want to jump the gun on this one and over rate it , but what the hell I think this one is that good. For starters from Lava you take old hwy 30 up to Chesterfield, but I stopped not even 5 min from Lava.

I can't think of too many rivers that have some of the characteristics of the Portneuf . I most of it is slow moving and almost looks like a warm water fishery like a catfish or Bass river. But it has a lot of small waterfalls that provide an ideal trout environment.  The falls are beautiful and sure enough trout.

The water is rich with minerals,  and abit of a sulfur smell, but it fosters various spectacular underwater plant life. My favorite feature of the river was the depth of some of the holes. I think it's due to the lava rock river bed, but most of the river is about 2-3 feet deep but then these sections go what looks like 20-30 feet deep.

The water as well as the banks are teeming with life; again I suspect it's linked to the rich mineral content. I think this river clearly calls for the expertise of Mr. Wilson.  I have no bout he will be as giddy as a school girl at this sulfur scented aquatic serpent.

Did I mention that I just scratched the surface of this river. I can't wait to go again!



No comments:

Post a Comment