Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Arco Idaho









The Fall Trifecta             Preface

September 29, 2011 3:00 a.m. I don’t even need an alarm clock; I just wake up, load my truck in the dark and head over to get Johnny for our annual fall 2011 fishing trip. Earlier this summer I briefly fished Silver Creek for about an hour, The Big Wood was full of too much water, so my plan then was to return this fall and really fish these rivers. The strategy is to fish The Big Wood the morning we get there, then Silver Creek, followed by The Big Lost. As for plans…they never end up that way. This tale ends up better; the trifecta turned into a quadruple or better yet call it a Grand Slam, or a four course meal!
As we approached Arco I get the morning call from my cousin David—The Lizard King. He asks if we are planning on including the Salmon River on our trip. “Well no, we didn’t think we had time,” was my response. I’ve never really thought of David as a genius, stupid me; we listen to his suggestion and include the Salmon River. Hence the Grand Clan/four course meal!
When you fish these four rivers it’s genuinely difficult to say one is better than the others. It’s like looking at your favorite meal, and saying one part is really better than the others. You have a favorite meal because of the combination of foods.  However, unless you’re a vegetarian you build your meal around the meat or the fish. Well then there you go, the meal is built around the Salmon; the batter that drives the other runners to score 4 is Mr. Salmon River himself.

See Chapter 1 Silver Creek 1st base/the salad

No comments:

Post a Comment