Sunday, October 30, 2011

Rock Creek Utah







October 29, 2011, Rock Creek Utah: We drove up Wolf Creek Pass, to Hanna, then over Blind Stream  pass to get to Rock Creek. I drove my two wheel drive Nissan and it felt like a big mistake. Going down the North Slope, the winding switch backs were ice packed, and I know everyone was thinking “I hope we can drive to Mountain Home and not have to come back this way, or we are probably going to see how good Steve’s survival skills are." He did have a killer Bear Grills knife, and I will admit he did come prepared for anything. We started calling him “Bear Shits,” but he’s pretty mormon and didn’t seem to appreciate the new nick-name.
Long story short Bear caught a lot more fish with a Panther Martin then we did with fly rods, and when we got back to the truck he already had a lean-to half constructed, and a fire going from his handy dandy flint—I’ve got to get me one of those.
This is the first time I have fished Rock Creek, and I fell in love the moment we met. Of course being tail water is always a real plus in my book. It  has all the classic Uintah markings; high altitude, rugged terrain,  a healthy rock bottom and clean clear water. I don’t think there is an abundant bug life though, which would naturally limit the size of the fish.  Adding to its charm, it meanders and forks off constantly, and has a real variety of holes and runs.
I can’t wait to get my feet back in these waters. Although I can imagine it will have to wait until spring, because it already has some spots that were starting to ice over.

1 comment:

  1. thank you for your description, wondered about rock creek and loved the history of all of Utah.

    ReplyDelete