Saturday, September 17, 2011

Diamond Fork Utah

Diamond Fork

I have always loved this river. Pound for pound it is one tough, scrappy, robust little guy. It flows into Spanish Fork, which is also really fun to fish. Some great features of Diamond Fork are as follows:
·        Let’s start with its name, come on “Diamond Fork” that’s a great name.
·        Beautiful scenery, it has the southern Utah red sandstone look starting out. It’s sort of the beginning of what’s to come in Price as you travel further southeast.
·        It’s not too big. If you like small Utah streams, you will love this one, you can wade it pretty much any time of the year, and it offers a great variety of water types from deep holes to riffles.
·        Big fish for its size. No you won’t catch a record breaker, but you would be surprised at the size of some of these fish.
·        It’s not that far from Salt Lake, about an hour drive.
·        For me it holds a lot of fun memories, I know here I go again, but this was one of my “coming of age” rivers that I loved to fish, so I can’t help but have fond feelings.
About a year or two ago, Greg and Kyle suggested hitting Diamond Fork. “Oh wow, I haven’t fished that river in years, since I was a teenager,” I said. I think about it when I drive up the canyon on my way to Price; not that I go to Price that often, but when I do, I always look over and think about that river, what it’s like and if it’s changed. Yes it’s still a peach of a stream, I’m 16-years-old again. I’m 16, but I’m bald, my lower back aches, I have bags under my eyes. But on this river, hell yeah, I’m 16 again; but now I have a fly rod, so for me that means I just catch less fish then when I used the classic Mepps number two spinner.
If you’ve never been to Diamond Fork, give it a try, if you are disappointed, then give your rod to a friend or relative, and get a set of golf clubs or something.






No comments:

Post a Comment