Friday, September 16, 2011

Weber River Utah

 
Mark teasing Madeline with a White fish. She prefers Browns and Bows.



The last 5 years I have fished this river probably more than any other. It’s close to Salt Lake, it’s a nice drive, and it’s a great river. You can catch Browns, Bows and White fish. Of my three daughters the only one who likes to fish, and who will fish is the middle one Madeline aka Luffy. Ever since she was little she has had the gift--the fishing gods shower her with angling talent, among other talents. At family camping trips we have fishing tournaments. The other kids and adults got tired of her winning the biggest, most, and first fish. At any rate when it was time to move her from being a bait fisherman to fly fishermen, I took my time. Some things I did right were to buy her, her own rod, reel and waders. I spent some money too and got her some good stuff.

Here’s how it fits into the Weber:
June 14 2005 Luffy and I are working a nice hole together with just one rod—keep it simple. “Keep casting like this,” as I explain the roll cast. “I’ll be right back as I walk into the bushes to take a leak. She’s a smart kid, she’ll be fine. She yells back “dad, I got a bit!” I mumble something like “good, good keep at it honey,” more or less humoring her. She says it again and this time with more excitement. She has a fish on. Of course I’m shocked; she has the fishing gift but come on… She lands the fish, casts two more times, sets the hook and POW another fish. “How are you seeing that?” I ask. In a manner that is so Luffy, she looks me calmly in the eyes and asks her own question, “How do you not?” This is a great day, and day in fatherhood history.

April 17, 2006 Luffy, Greg, his son Stockton and I are on the Weber. Stockton is about 12 or 13 so he sticks with Greg and Luffy is with me. She is on fire, the kid just gets it. With a nymph and a strike indicator she just sees when to set the hook. This part is golden: Stockton walks up to us with a sort of tired beat up look about him, while she has a fish on her line. He watches her reeling it in. “What did your dad hook it and hand it to you?” he asks. She says nothing but just kind of scowls at him. She catches the fish, releases it, and gets back to casting. It’s not two minutes and later she hooks another fish. “Dad can we go now, Stockton whines, I’m tired.” She really is that cool of a kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment