Friday, September 16, 2011

Middle Provo Utah

December 28, 2010 I literally grew up on this river. This was before it was on the map. It was just the river that flowed from Deer Creek, no big deal. I would bungee my rod onto my handlebars and ride down to what we called the river bottoms. I would put a few spinners inside an empty film container. If you got a snag, you would do damn near anything to get it out. Some days I would have only one spinner, so unless you wanted to go home, you went after it. Now the "Provo" is so popular that I rarely fish it. True its classic tail water. It has a view of Timp, which I consider Utah's crown jewel peak. It is big, but not too big to wade. It is very healthy with a plentiful amount of bugs and unfortunately people as well.
So my plan: go in the dead of winter that should eliminate all the fair weather friends. This morning the temp is 8 degrees, and when it’s that cold, your line turns into a total frozen rope. But this is why I came, so let’s roll. Once I get out on the river I realize just how pretty this place is--especially with a winters blanket covering it. The day warms up and these fish are grand. They are fat and strong and outstanding. However it's lunch time and the temp is barely above freezing and there are fisherman all over the place. Ok maybe they are not all over the place, but I can people are out here fishing. If you want to be alone on the Provo—good luck.






1 comment: