Saturday, September 17, 2011

Green River Utah

January 28, 2011 I have fished the Green a few times only, once on a guided drift boat with my dad, brother and brother in law. That is just one of those things you must do. The Green is probably the only river in Utah that you can really use a drift boat on. What's not to love? The fishing is wonderful, and probably even better is the red rock walls, and dramatic green water. When I was drifting down it, I kept telling myself to stop and smell the roses, so to speak, and not get too caught up in fishing. It was a constant struggle. Today we decided to jet up for just the day, and get back in time for Hannah's game tonight. She is a cheerleader, and tonight she is going to be a flyer for the first time. So, I have to be back by 7:00. When we get to the river at Little Hole, the sun is just starting to burn the mist off the water. I know how to dress for this kind of weather, but I'm still not quite ready to get in the water yet.

Its 10:30 and the sun has now spread out fully over the river, and the water is just boiling with fish lips slurping caddis off the top. This is what fly fishermen live for. For the past few months I have been getting into soft hackle, and I tie one off the back like a dropper. The point of soft hackle is that they are supposed to lie just under the surface about an inch of so. At least that is the most popular way to fish them. I am catching 3 to 1 off the soft hackle. Incidentally I didn't make it back to the game in time. Sorry Hannah.



1 comment:

  1. I love the iron coming out the mountain in the shots above. What an incredible place. I need to get out of the city more and appreciate Utah more. Its right there outside of the city limits! BTW, is that somebody's arm sticking out of the weeds in that one shot, or was that further north?

    ReplyDelete