Friday, September 16, 2011

Salt Creek Utah

As kids we camped a lot, my whole family on my mom's side; aunts, uncles and a ton of cousins. We loved to go to this KOA in Nephi, and a little trickle flowed through it called Salt Creek. It didn't seem like a huge river, but I thought both the river and the 10 inch browns seemed legit. I was always so successful with Uncle Sam and a gold mepps, wading up to my knees. All of us boys would fish it all day long.

Okay, the truth is we would fish a little bit, but my cousin David and I would spend most of our time catching lizards and doing unspeakable things to water snakes. We were masters at catching lizards; David was "The Lizard King."


August 9, 2011 driving here this morning I’m sure I bored the hell out of Johnny talking about all my great adventures on Salt Creek and camping at the KOA. I told him to not expect much, knowing that would be a small river.
We arrive:

The KOA is no longer a KOA, it’s owned by some independent owner, and I wonder where all the trees went. I think they had a major fire there about 10-years-ago. And as for Salt Creek…it is a creek. “Really this is why we drove an hour past Diamond Fork? Let’s just go,” was all Johnny had to say. It looked tiny, kind of like a big mountain ditch.

But once you get in the river, get down into it, and work up-stream you get it. Maybe I embellish stories from the past, maybe my fish and rivers grow with time? But even though this creek really is a creek, it’s still a great little river.
I had a great morning fishing this little guy. Yes I tripped down memory lane; yes I was indulging in my boyish past. But, I also caught about 30 fish off a hopper, and a soft hackle dropper.  The song remains the same--sort of.

No comments:

Post a Comment