Monday, September 26, 2011

Hobble Creek Utah

Hobble Creek

March 22, 2011
I caught more golf balls than fish--no really. I was looking into the water at what looked like marshmallows sitting on the river bottom; I waded in to find golf balls. It makes perfect sense because the golf course is just up river from where I am fishing. Hobble Creek Golf Course is an incredible course, and forgive me fellow fly fishermen but I think I would rather golf Hobble Creek than fish it.

I love small streams; the fish are usually very interested in dries, and will actively feed off the top. The problem with Hobble Creek is the tightness of the river. There are a lot of nice runs and holes but almost every section I fished is choked with bushes and trees. The back casting is tough, and you have to be extremely aware with each cast. I finally ditched the hopper pattern I was using, and started nymphing, utilizing the roll cast. The little browns enjoyed the San Juan Worm.

Here’s the thing, if you are driving from Salt Lake, going south, you can pick from Hobble Creek or Diamond Fork; Spanish Fork as well. They are all in the same area. Diamond Fork is a tributary of Spanish Fork. Ten times out of ten I am going to pick Diamond Fork over Hobble Creek; although it could make a fun day playing 9 then changing into the waders!

No comments:

Post a Comment